Thread: What to do?
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 12:45 PM
Brit43
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2020

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
If that minor provides eligibility for R-ATP minimums, then I would seriously consider that route... major in something useful, minor in aviation.

Keep in mind that university flight programs tend to be expensive, if you hustle you can usually attend a non-aviation college, do flight training on the side for lower cost, and complete the CFI ratings by the time you graduate. You'll just need to CFI for an additional 500 hours, compared to R-ATP eligibility. Depends on your personal finances, if cost is no object I'd probably do the structured university minor program just so you don't have to try to juggle part 61 training with college.
Hey rick, thank you for your contribution. I have a question. Currently I'm taking online classes to avoid debt. I also have a scholarship going for me. I've applied to other scholarship opportunities. My estimated debt with my major in business is roughly around 20k. If I were to minor in piloting, that would be an additional 60k, equalling to about 80k undergrad business degree plus flight ratings. Unfortunately, you have to be an aviation major to qualify for the R-Atp. I just want to make it infront of hiring wave coming so that I could be in a good position the next downturn or potentially go to the majors without upgrading for caption on the regionals. Sorry for the lengthy post. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Brit43; 01-17-2021 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Typo