View Single Post
Old 02-06-2021, 04:35 AM
DALMD88FO
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: A330 First Officer

Originally Posted by RonRicco View Post
And “I’ll just keep the door closed” may not work either.

Pretend you are getting ready for a 6 hour flight to SEA. Your copilot “John” shows up. He (he said it was ok to call him “he”) drove to work by himself with a mask on and also has a mask on in his profile pic on FB and Twitter.

He gives you the look because you are having a sip of coffee and apparently he thinks you are not pulling it back up quickly enough. You begin to feel uncomfortable because you know it is going to fog your glasses and you can’t wear it in flight. You explain this to John. John says “not being able to see is a small price to pay. You don’t care about others.”

All sarcasm aside, think of the situation. Will John turn you in to the TSA or report you if you don’t wear the mask in flight if you don’t wear glasses? If John asks you to wear it and you don’t, that is going to make for a great cockpit. Even if you do put it on breath CO2 for 6 hours, it still has created a less than desirable dynamic.
I would think the FAA and FAR's would trump the TSA. Remember Safety is Delta's number one priority. I'm not wearing the mask for a 10 hour ocean crossing. I don't care what anyone says about not lowering your O2 levels it fatigues me wearing it for extended periods of time.