View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 09:37 PM
GeeWizDriver
Speed, Power, Accuracy

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: PIC

Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
I wasn’t going to respond but... Low on antibodies does mean low on antibody response to antigens. T-cells, leukocytes B-cells etc are part of immune response not all of it. As you probably know.

You probably also know that “QUICKLY” letting the virus spread to 10s of millions does not impact mutation. Mutation in viruses occurs based on number of hosts/reproduction rather than an arbitrary time. They don’t reproduce without host cells. This isn’t bacteria.

I am guessing you aren’t an epidemiologist or virologist. But maybe I’m wrong. I am certainly not a scientist. I ask the ones in my family, when I have questions, then I listen and ask more.

For the people that keep saying this is the first time we’ve ever socially distanced or “locked down”, I’d be curious if you are counting 1918 pandemic. I am also curious why every other country from DPRK to Canada has either closed borders, stopped foreign travel, or some combination. Is that all part of the “first time?”

I’d also like to know what this arduous national lockdown is, because I’ve been eating on patios or getting to-go food for a year now.

Actually, I stopped counting when I reached 20 family members, extended family members, and close friends who are doctors. All of whom I have discussed Covid with over the past year. Although there is disagreement among them over masks, nearly all agree that lockdowns of the healthy were counterproductive and the focus should have been to isolate the vulnerable and allow a more rapid growth of herd immunity among the young and healthy.

As it happens, I spent the afternoon with a friend who spent 40 years as a pathologist specializing in infectious disease. Since his retirement, he geeks out on medical journals, studies, and white papers. Ironic that you mentioned the Spanish Flu since he referred me to this study today on long-term immunity through B-Cell "training":

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-pers...pandemic-virus

Cliff's Notes version. B-Cell immunity to past virus infection can last DECADES. So no, you don't have to have antibodies present to still be immune. The B-Cells can rapidly stimulate antibody production to a virus it recognizes in as little as 12 hours. Antibodies that would not otherwise be present, nor detectable in a test.

Aaaand this is the part where the real "science deniers" say, in a very whiny manner, "but, but, this isn't the Spanish Flu, it's COVID!"

Last edited by GeeWizDriver; 02-22-2021 at 09:47 PM.