View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Moe Rudda
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: CRJ/FO
Default instructing on the side?

What is the policy at your airline regarding your flying activities outside of your full time job? I would like to continue build PIC time when I get that first regional job. (To make me more competitive for a major someday.) Do they feel any differently about club operations (unpaid) than say instructing at an FBO for pay (counting against your 1000per year)? Do your logs get audited or anything? ("What is this 20 hours of instruction given last month?") Or, is it a 'don't ask, don't tell situation? I would not want to loose my airline gig over a stupid side job, but if I can pick up a few extra bucks and/or just log the hours uncompensated it would be nice.

The time was this would not even be an issue, but from what I'm reading a guy might have 2500+ hours one day with only 500pic if they get hired at a regional with low time. The Majors all seem to want that PIC to be over the 1000 hr mark to get the interview, so who knows what they are actualy hiring with.
Anyway thanks for any help you might have to offer. Trying to have any sort of plan on the way up in this business is akin to alpine skiing blind folded.