View Single Post
Old 03-16-2021, 05:22 PM
Gunfighter
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by TED74 View Post
As it turns out, many of the ANG units that employ our pilots have air sovereignty defense obligations that are 365-day commitments uninterrupted by holidays. Sharing in the burden of covering shifts on Thanksgiving, Christmas, 4th of July, Super Bowl Sunday etc. is part of being in such units.
I was part of an ANG unit that had a habit of scheduling drill weekend on Super Bowl Sunday. One year after preposting MLOA over drill weekend, I fielded a call from an office dweller letting me know that USERRA gives the employer the option to ask if the military duty can be rescheduled. I asked if he could make his next call to my commander, because that was my best shot for watching the game. Unfortunately he declined to make the call and I went to drill instead of getting a game compatible layover. It really pixxed me off that he would call to tell me what Delta could do, but was too chicken5417 to actually make the call. My GAS factor was adjusted appropriately...

Another year I learned secondhand that I was on a list of pilots using Mil Leave over Christmas and New Year. I asked if they were also tracking the 30 pilots junior to me in the same category who successfully bid a week or more off over Christmas. I didn’t get a response to that question, rather it was just mentioned that they track leave across the entire pilot group and I wasn’t being highlighted.

Originally Posted by crewdawg View Post
Tried it multiple times over 3 years on a WB and never once had it honored. But I once had a buddy have an APD approved over Christmas, so anything is possible.
I gave up trying PDs outside of a 4-99-4 or equivalent years ago. I have successfully used my APD for Christmas, but never while based in ATL. Key takeaway, bid NYC not ATL if you want holidays off.

Pilots who brag about using MLOA for personal benefit, like the F18 driver during indoc are not helping. It was a pleasure serving alongside many great warriors, but I had no idea some of them were too stupid to consider the audience before speaking. If you are maximizing the benefits of MLOA, good for you, thank you for serving, but 5TFU so you don’t highlight a “good deal”.

Last edited by Gunfighter; 03-16-2021 at 05:39 PM.