View Single Post
Old 03-21-2021, 12:43 PM
Cargocapt
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2018

Thank you all for your input. I am apologetic I have not been able to respond sooner.

I did have a phone chat with the owner of the school. I did not find the outcome satisfactory and will not be returning to the school. Some takeaways from the conversation with the flight school owner, it was clear the young man in question had fabricated a easily disproved narrative. As the owner brought up each fabrication I was able to provide more information that to the owner was readily apparent he was being lied to by his employee, in some cases I provided physical evidence. Despite having been clearly lied to by the young instructor, the owner continued to back his employee. As this young man is ready to move on to regional aviation I suspect he will be challenged by his integrity. And the flight school owner does not realize he will have lost out of two senior instructors not one when this young man turns in his resignation. I have no intention of returning to the school after this young man leaves.

As someone suggested, I reached out to some of the pilots I fly with who maintain their flight instructor certificates and all were happy to sign me off. I will be flying out to meet one of those pilots and he has already scheduled a examiner for me on the same trip.

I would like to address some of the comments here.

As JohnBurke accurately pointed out this is a reinstatement, not a renewal. A very poor choice of words on my part.

Others have questioned why not the flight instructor instrument as well as why I require a instructor at all. My skills and abilities in a small single engine piston airplane have atrophied. I would be doing potential students a disservice if I did not ensure that my skills were up to par as a single engine instructor. I posit that another instructor would be better able to judge my skills than I could for the practical test. The base flight instructor training seemed to be most appropriate. I went with this young man as he was the most experienced at the school, which may explain the owners defense of his actions.

I am grateful to you all for your advice and suggestions.