Thread: ONT base info
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2021, 12:27 PM
tnkrdrvr
Occasional box hauler

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Hello all. I am super excited to have been offered a CJO and currently live close to ONT. Due to my previous airline I was planning on buying a house in LAS and not sure how my QOL would be living in LAS and commuting to ONT as a new hire? I can afford more house in LAS for the growing family however would I improve my QOL greatly by staying close to ONT? I understand that I may not get ONT out of training however the plan is to transfer there with time. Thanks.
This really boils down to the arguments for living in domicile vs commuting. I won’t rehash them here. I’m assuming you are familiar with the drive from Vegas to ONT. Reserve call out is 2 hours for ONT. Obviously Vegas is way outside that. I would look real hard at homes in Orange County, Temecula, etc. Your money would absolutely go further in Vegas. It would go even further around SDF. Those are choices you need to discuss with your wife. ONT guys are not exactly thrilled with the direction the ONT bidpack seems to be trending, so you may decide you prefer some other domicile. Finally, do you have a class date or are you simply in the pool? I would sit tight and avoid making any large financial commitments until after you have completed OE and have a better perspective on what domicile you really want at UPS.