View Single Post
Old 05-26-2021, 07:21 PM
CAirBear
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2013

Originally Posted by Slowhawk View Post
Personally I’d rather be here.

living in base is what really matters.

besides that, I’d rather be here. I spent my whole life wanting to fly widebody for UA, including my whole regional career. Came here, and haven’t updated my UA app since because I honestly can’t believe how great my QOL is.

Fast growth, profitable company, good, young and reasonable captains, well-maintained brand new jets, and a (precovid) 2.5 year upgrade… yeah I’d definitely rather be here. I regularly fly with CA’s hired 4 years ago that hold a great line, make 300 a year(precovid), and get 16+ days off. Not to mention the incredible ability to drop flying all you want.

compare that to slinging gear for 10 years for mostly gray-haired ex-mil jerks that have been in the left seat since 1990 but hey you’ll get to fly a big airplane and eat hot meals
To the OP. This dude absolutely nailed it and said what I was going to say.

With our current order for 150 airplanes, in the next 5-6 years, there will be continuous hiring and upgrades until the last A/C shows up.

I’ve been here just over 2 years and (if not for Covid) would have upgraded end of this year. Now it will be middle of next. Oh well.

The ability to drop to 0 and the schedule flexibility cannot be beat. Even when I was the most junior line holder I’m still able to make my schedule EXACTLY how I need it. I have a very good friend at United. He cannot do what I do with my schedule.

I did not renew my AApps account this past fall.

Finally in 2019 (full year before Covid) we only had 24ish pilots leave for other airlines. That doesn’t happen by accident. By and large this is a great group of pilots who are happy here.

This is my 4th and last airline. Hands down the easiest and best job I’ve had in my career.