View Single Post
Old 06-23-2021, 05:08 PM
TrojanCMH
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
It will not be a retrofit to existing airframes, it will have to be clean-sheet. Too much integration with existing systems, plus additional backup systems. At least for pax ops. You *might* be able to retrofit an existing airplane, but it seems that would cost too much... more economical to bake into a new design, or at least a major update of an existing design.

Also... the airframe industry is currently jumping through hoops to be ready for possible (likely) future draconian carbon mandates. How much R&D cash do they have to blow on hypothetical autonomy that requires an AI that doesn't exist, which they wouldn't know how to certify if it did?

I don’t know if I agree. Connect the older airplane’s autopilot and other systems (ecam/eicas, radar, cpdlc, gpwrs, etc…) to this “brain” AI computer and let it do its thing. It’s all theoretical as the technology isn’t there yet but there are videos of a robot first officer that flew a 737 on the internet. Full pilotless airplanes are a long ways off but having something like this while the other pilot is resting isn’t out of the realm of possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk