View Single Post
Old 06-30-2021, 06:52 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by fatjoetoes View Post
I’ve know personally a lot of military guys that have terrible CRM, descent planning, ability to manage a flight deck. Stick and rudder is only one component.
Me too. But nothing compared to the regionals

There are good and bad in both, the military just screens them better than the regionals, and fighters *on average* is just another layer of screening. A military resume also has more "hints" on that person's career progression, skill, and motivation... a regional pilot could go years without any significant career milestones but in the mil a long stretch of nothing tells you that person is getting skipped over and others are stepping up in his place.

I'm not a fighter guy but I've worked with a whole bunch of fighter, non-fighter, and non-aviator types over a very long mil career. I'm just explaining why some airlines like that package. But that sword cuts both ways... some airlines don't, at least one or two ULCC at one point specifically required 5000 hours which excluded almost all fighter pilots (my college roommate is a 55 y/o active duty fighter pilot Admiral and he has maybe 4000 hours).

The dregs of corporate/135 is also known to prefer civilians... in a bar one night a 135 owner/DO/CP who knew some of my pilot friends ended up at our table. He stated he wouldn't hire mil guys because they'd get uptight if he wanted to do a line of coke on a layover.