Thread: Sunny Hiring
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2021, 08:38 PM
Starchkr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2018

Originally Posted by Hauwdy View Post
How bad is reserve?

I am coming from flying the 135 world on a Challenger and am lucky enough to have offers at both Skywest and Sun Country. Not competitive enough for some of the other LCCs at this time.
Either way I will be commuting from the west coast. The commute at SKW would be a 30 minute flight, usually on company metal, served at least 15 times a day each direction. Sun Country would be a 3 hour hop - sometimes on company metal.

Career wise I wouldn't mind looking more into SCX as the growth is promising and having your paycheck say the name as written on the airplane is a big deal. All of the pilots I have met seem (reasonably) happy. Kind of a goofy situation to be comparing a regional to a 737 carrier, but in this particular instance the thought of commuting to what sounds like really bad reserve may not be worth it.

So really, if I'm going to be commuting to reserve - how bad are we talking? Sounds like at least a year of only ten days off with minimal time off in between. What kind of changes are being worked on, if any?

Appreciate any insight.
Commuting to reserve here is brutal. You’d be far better off at Skywest and try to get on with a better major from there.