View Single Post
Old 07-07-2021, 11:42 PM
Catboatsailor
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2013

Originally Posted by TegridyFarms View Post
I posted this in another thread—but it’s worth sharing here too. I am not saying #savetheJKT!! I am just saying my personal reasoning behind why it existed.

1) It was a bunch of stuff that they gave you to study. If you learned it, or at least an acceptable amount of it on your own time…….that showed initiative and that you’re a person who when given a bunch of material and being told “know this and you’ll be tested on it….” If you can do that—and aren’t a total tool during the interview you’ll be a good fit.

Why?

2) At Delta when you are assigned a new airplane—guess what?!? You're sent a ton of info that often times is new or foreign to you, you are asked to learn it on your own time, and show up on day one and take a test. And you’re asked to do that over and over for four weeks straight.

When I took the JKT I thought “Good God, that was so stupid.” Retrospectively, I understand why it exists once I taught myself an airplane and was tested on it. There’s definitely a correlation between that test and the way we train here.
The JKT was an unnecessary hoop to jump thru. The test has no bearing on how we train here. We don’t work wind triangles on the line or calculate VOR intercept angles.

All professional pilots hired by Delta will already have 1 or more type ratings, college degree and verifiable work history. That’s the data points that have a verifiable correlation.

The whole (previous) interview process was conceived by the Hoffman consulting group to help Delta understand how to hire civilian pilots. It’s been proven over and over that pilots with previous 121 experience can successfully work at another 121 Airline. Shocker isn’t it!!!! It’s 2021 there are thousands of 121 pilots that Delta can hire from. Stymied antiquated processes will cause Delta to lose out on quality pilots. I applaud our HR for adapting and understanding reality.

PS
You can read about DAL’s hiring fears from Carl Hoffman himself. He notes it in this book.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/27389864009...SABEgJnpvD_BwE

Last edited by Catboatsailor; 07-07-2021 at 11:55 PM.