View Single Post
Old 07-31-2021, 12:59 PM
FXLAX
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Originally Posted by Profane Kahuna View Post
That’s a false equivalecency since the companies don’t pay as much as the other leading airlines into pilot’s DC funds.

But if they did, the equally funded DC + a pension would pay out more and as I have said previously FedEx and UPS pilots will probably be the richest ballers in the old pilots retirement home (even without the higher DC contribution).

I hope bankruptcy never comes to pass for any airline but history says pilots get screwed. In that eventuality I would take a DC only plan everyday of the week because you don’t have the risk of reduced income for decades.

Since no one can guarantee an absence of bankruptcy for 60+ years I vote the best retirement plan is the company with the highest DC contributions.

Either you think they will have a viable pension, as YOU stated, or you think they will be transferred to the PBGC in the next 60 years. Can’t have it both ways.

And like also mentioned, bankruptcy is also a risk to DC plans as well. Your DC plan can be terminated and left with what you have vested.

Lastly, it all comes down to risk aversion. You don’t have much for the FDX or UPS pensions. That’s ok.