View Single Post
Old 08-09-2021, 02:55 PM
gloopy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2010
Position: window seat

Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
Agreed. I am actually surprised the company hasn't come after 2 things: The 2 captain requirement for augmented crews and a cruise pilot position for 3 man crews. But I agree with you that they should be non-starters.
I can see them asking for the first. But until and unless we're under a massive duress CBA negotiation/BK/etc, I can't see that being given up. Even if "everything is for sale" it doesn't matter because they can't afford it. The savings from that, of which we would only get a fraction of anyway, are just too minor to amortize across the entire voting majority to inceitivise something that causes that much direct and trickle down harm.

The second is in a similar vein. UAL used to (and I think still does?) have "bunkie lines" where they were basically guaranted "cruise pilots". They were still line qualled seniority list FO's though, with the one exception of guaranteed currency training so there really isn't a whole lot of savings there.

What I think you may be referring to is some kind of Euro style MPL seat warmer with much lower qualifications, experience and training. There would be some savings there but again I don't think it would be very much. To really pay out to the EPS money incinerator, ALPA (etc) would have to agree to enact a significant B scale. Not likey to happen, away from the courthouse steps anyway.

The real threat from that would be the scab adjacent FoC scam airlines. The People's Worker's Party of Working People would never let that happen so we're pretty safe.