Thread: K2
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2021, 07:24 AM
Demoman
Banned

Joined APC: Jun 2017

Originally Posted by ObadiahDogberry View Post
Surprised at how little K2 info is out there.

Just thought I would give a little info in case anyone is interested.

The positives are that overall, this is a very laid back and easy job. The flying is not difficult, even the night CVG stuff. The IBC flying from Miami can be a long day, but it is usually not difficult. Crews are pretty easy going and fun to work with for the most part. Crew members keep all hotel points and status, and it racks up pretty quickly. Most hotels are Hilton brand, with some Marriott, and occasionally another brand. Overall the hotel standard is pretty good. The company is currently still providing a hotel in CVG during the entire rotation, so during the night sort, you can get three to four hours of sleep in your own hotel room and not have to try and sleep in the snoring palace at DHL. Rumors that the CVG hotel will be going away soon are rampant. But so far nothing has come from the company. New CP just announced and he is a good guy who has worked hard for the pilots. The consensus is that he will be good in that position.

That leads me into the negatives. New CP just announced and he is a good guy who has worked hard for the pilots. But that takes away the guy who has been spearheading the push for improvements and puts him into management. So it is a wait and see if anyone will step up and fill his shoes. A (very) small (and frankly insulting) pay raise was given in May. Overall compensation is well behind just about anyone else out there. 401k matching is an abysmal 1.25%. Vacation is only five days per year and you have to wait a full year to claim it. It may end up falling in the middle of a 13 day work rotation. Scheduling may be able to change it so it can be tacked on at the beginning or end of a rotation, but that is subject to crew availability. Scheduling can be a bit rigid. It is a 13/10 roster, and very little bidding variability. Last bid the had just a few CVG lines, a few MIA lines, and the vast majority was ad-Hoc lines, despite being very little ad-Hoc flying. So basically it is just 13 days of standby duty in CVG. Kind of goes with the territory with this kind of operation. Scheduling seems to be unable to make multiple hotel reservations, so once you get stuck on a high fatigue run, like CVG-MDT-BDL, you will be on it all week and be completely thrashed at the end of the five days. Scheduling will not break it up to reduce fatigue due to the aforementioned inability to make multiple hotel reservations.

Other points: the rift between the 727 and 737 guys seems to be mostly healed. I think there is a recognition that whatever the issues were, most of the crews were not at the root of those issues. I do get the sense that the group is far more unified in their goals to make some improvements. Not certain, but my guess is a union drive will commence as soon as the waiting period from decertifying Teamsters expires.

Hopefully that info is helpful to those who might be considering moving to K2. In many ways it is not a bad place to hang out for a little bit. I think the ops guys overall are pretty good folks. I have already mentioned the new CP, but the director of training and his staff are good as well.
Getting rid of the SCAB CP is a first good move ( unless he stayed in some other management position)