Thread: K2
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2021, 07:23 AM
Jetpowered
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2013
Position: B-737 capt

Originally Posted by DVNO View Post
Thanks for the reply JP, I have a buddy who recently made the switch over from my current company over to K2 and he's telling me how much greener the grass is over there. What's the fleet with the better flight hours, or are they about the same. Flight hours per month close to monthly block min? I'm more attracted to the 727 for the three man/three hole experience, but flying cool ancient equipment isn't the only factor for me. Do all the planes have FMCs or are they /A birds? What's upgrade look like, I assume it's as soon as you meet 121 requirements given the street Captain hiring. What's the general FE background, mechanics turned PFE, former military guys, or pilots on a stepping stone? Is K2 parking 727s already or is that just a rumor?

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm just looking ahead for when I'm ready to make the next career step.
I'm happy to help. Right now, I think the 727s are flying more hours, but that is just a guess. I think some of the 727s have FMCs. All of our 737s are EFIS with FMCs, there are no analog 737s at K2. I believe that our FEs are professional engineers with their A&P. They are mostly older guys and many are former military. The parking of the 727s is a rumor that comes and goes, but the same thing happened with the DC-9s and they did get parked. The guarantee is 60hrs on all equipment. I don't think we have many guys going over the 60 right now but it certainly does happen. Depends on what route you get. Upgrade here is seniority first then having the hours and the ability. I have seen guys upgrade within 6 or 8 months but they had previous 121 PIC time on different equipment. The hiring of street captains here does happen every now and then, but only after they have gone through the seniority list looking at all potential upgrades. It will happen say when we are adding airframes and we have run out of FOs that are ready at that time.