View Single Post
Old 09-07-2021, 02:34 AM
Mediocre Pilot
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2021
Default Same...but different

Originally Posted by MTSUFlyer View Post
Hey all,
Any insight would be much appreciated. Here's the situation...
MTSUFlyer - thanks for starting this thread! I'm struggling with the same decision, but with two important differences:

1. I'm Year One at Delta
2. My family and I are planning to move to ATL (or SDF) sometime in the next few years to live in domicile. We have no attachment to either city, they are equally appealing (Oldham County looks like Peachtree City with fewer golf carts, more horses)

I'll keep following the thread. For all those saying they wouldn't make the jump in year 6...what about year 1?

My priorities:
- Time at home with family (# days home) & vacation.
- Not hating my job (I can deal with not loving it)

Factors, but lower priorities:
- Seniority: as a year 1 at Delta, there have been MANY hired before me in the last decade. I think UPS wins this one, even with the recent hires in the last 5 years.
- Scheduling: I hate staying up to 5 AM as much as I hate going to bed early to wake up at 5 AM. Coming from a cargo background in the military, I know swapping circadian is worse...but for me, personally, it's not that much worse than starting a 12 hour, 4 leg day with an 0600 showtime.
- Block Time v. Credit: I just discovered this. All my UPS friends are flying 30-40 hours a month...Delta is significantly higher for similar credit.
- Time/ability for teleworking (virtual friendly) side hustles...the airline isn't the only thing I've got going on.

Non Factor:
- Pay, Benefits, Retirement and total compensation is close enough to be a wash (I also did a ton of research and built out the spreadsheet just to arrive at the same conclusion). I know everything about the A/B plans, profit sharing, pension, etc. I'll be happy with my pay at either company.