View Single Post
Old 09-07-2021, 08:31 AM
DeltaboundRedux
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2020
Position: Enoch Powell Enthusiast

Unless your parents are independently wealthy, the risk/reward calculation doesn’t really lend itself to the civilian route via a college flight school even with boosts from major airlines via things like Propel.

From a fiscal viewpoint, the military is really the only way to go, but for many reasons, that’s not for everyone. (Physical requirements, late age entry, individual moral/ethical/religious considerations, etc.)

Hard to take yourself outside the bubble though. Everyone here “made it”; so of course either route seemingly makes sense. Knowing what I know now about the cyclical nature of the economy, the fragile house of cards that is the airlines, black swan events that pop up every 8-10 years, and the enormous sunk costs that even getting an interview require, I’m not certain if it’s a good choice for the average Joe who wants to get married young and have a family (once a common enough goal).

Again, the bias on APC is “I made it, so can you”. The same is probably said in the major league sports all teams. It’s a tough road, for most requires a great deal of financial, personal, and physical sacrifice, and maybe not all that worth it. Life goes by mighty fast.

Glad to see Delta is offering some guarantees (with a very small “g”) with the Propel Program.