View Single Post
Old 09-12-2021, 05:24 PM
tnkrdrvr
Occasional box hauler

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by Dizzy12 View Post
I tried to start a new thread but my profile doesn't allow it for some reason. I created this new profile hoping to repair the problem with no luck. I can only reply to threads so please excuse the thread partial hijack.

I am in a similar situation as the gentlemen considering leaving Delta for UPS.
However, I am a 3 year guy at AAL. I was furloughed and now on a leave of absence.
I start back at AAL in two weeks and UPS around the same time frame.

Big difference is I won't commute to AAL but have to commute to UPS.

I only have 12 years until mandatory retirement.

Goods for AA
-No commute
-Have familiarity
-Mostly daytime
-Lots of retirements in the next few years

Others for AA
-Less stable
-No pension
-Poorly managed

Goods for UPS
-Stability
-Better pay (though takes 4 years to recoup the pay difference starting over)
-Pension

Others for UPS
-First year pay
-Lifetime commuting
-Back side of the clock

****I only have 12 years until I reach mandatory retirement.****

CA upgrade at AAL is approximately 3 more years.
UPS says upgrade to CA is 4.5 years, I think that may be overly optimistic.

Pay difference over 10 years only considering FO pay is 150K; goes up to 306K if stay 12 years.
If upgrade to CA at the earliest possible at both the pay difference is about 300K.

The big pay difference is the pension at UPS. Obviously, the longer I live past retirement the greater the value.

I value anyone's input.
We have roughly 1-2 guys your age or older per new hire class. So you won’t stick out like a sore thumb. The pension would provide you with a $54k/yr floor to your budget in retirement which will enable you to allow your investments to continue growing without having to fully shoulder the load of supporting you. Gross retirement savings (401k&B plan) would probably be very similar at both.

All that said, QOL at UPS will not be able to compete with living in domicile at American.

This really boils down to how your retirement investments are doing relative to your financial goals. The only way to increase your tax advantaged retirement contributions above what you can already do at AA is to get a pension. If that pension isn’t going to matter (because you’re already financially set) than stay put. If your finances suffered due to stagnation at a low wage regional, than you probably need to chase the money. Best of luck with the choices you have available to you.