Old 09-27-2021, 10:07 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by TransWorld View Post
Why not put up a wall and prohibit them from leaving, like East Germany did? Escapees will be shot?
Maybe they'll get to that eventually.

There was actually a recent, serious legislative proposal to continue to tax CA residents for ten years after they leave, to "discourage" and/or penalize departure.

Since I might want to leave myself eventually, I discussed this with every CPA and attorney I know who'd give me five minutes. General consensus is that it would be exceptionally unconstitutional and would be a non-starter. But they're thinking along those lines...

The bottom line with CA (and other similar deep blue states) is that you're home free as long as you're actually complying with the law. You can establish *legit* residence elsewhere, keep your house in CA and spend 5 months and 29 days in-state every year* and they can't touch you (federal rules, which they can't over-ride).

Where it becomes a problem is if you're not complying with the letter of the law, then you could be looking at prison, and they might be aggressive enough to actually make it home.

For pilots, you're going to get scrutinized if you leave but are still based there. I know people based in LAX/SFO who moved to vegas but kept their CA house and commute to work. So CA sees a house and a job in LA or SF but a claim of non-residency. So yeah, they're suspicious for sure. If you're doing that (I might someday) you REALLY need to play by the rules.

*Talk to your attorney & CPA, rules can vary slightly if two states have certain types of reciprocal agreements.