View Single Post
Old 09-28-2021, 07:25 AM
flyingmonkeys
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2016

Originally Posted by coflyr View Post
I’ve been in the HIMS program for 15 months and have found nothing but support and advocacy from my airline (WN), my AME, and the FAA.

Yes it’s a lot of work but I love the accountability and support, and so far it’s working incredibly well.

If anyone thinks they have a problem and just wants to bounce questions off of someone who’s in the program, I’m more than happy to help. When I knew I had a problem and needed help, I internet surfed to try to find answers, and I can save you a lot of time and angst.
Well first off congrats. The biggest problem I have with HIMS is AME’s and psychiatrists that abuse their power. I’ve been in the program for 5 years now. I was supposed to be released last year and that never happened because the FAA decided to change the program. It’s less about staying sober and keeping your nose clean (ha!) and more about kissing the rings of those in charge. I hope you can navigate it successfully and have no issues that me and many of my peers of had. Being in compliance with your SI is not good enough to keep your medical FYI. Your AME can make stuff up to revoke your medical without any justification other than “the pilot in my opinion seems like he’s at risk of a relapse”. It’s so bad I know of one 121 HIMS chairman that is actively telling the pilots at that airline to avoid the program. Which is not how it should be obviously. The program has changed a lot just in the last couple of years and believe me it’s not for the better.