View Single Post
Old 10-04-2021, 05:45 PM
AxlF16
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008
Position: 787 Captain

Originally Posted by ThumbsUp View Post
Yeah, but you left out the most important part...

"A Pilot is considered to be disabled under the LTD Plan if the Pilot is ineligible to exercise the privileges of the Airman Medical Certificate that the Company requires to operate in the Pilot’s bid position as the result of an injury or medical condition."

This is the same language in the expanded policy as well.

It doesn't mention your ability to maintain an FAA physical, just that you can or can't exercise your certificate as a result of that condition. If you received a medical RA and then the company no longer allows you to exercise your certificate in your BES, it certainly would seem to qualify to me. I'm assuming that the RAP was legitimate enough to only afford RAs to those with supported conditions, not just those who didn't want to get it for whatever reason. I have no idea how many of the people in that group were religious/medical RAs, so this is largely academic. There's likely so few of them that we may never actually know what happens.
That part is irrelevant since they aren't ineligible to exercise their medical certificate. Has any pilot been able to collect LTD over the yellow fever vaccine? This is COMPANY policy - NOT FAA medical requirement.