View Single Post
Old 10-12-2021, 09:23 AM
TrojanCMH
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Default [Breeze] Airways

Originally Posted by sailingfun View Post
I am not sure where you get your information but most of what you post is false. First on Allegiant being the most profitable airline there is zero to support that. Allegiant does not report the airlines true profits of break them out from the parent companies results. No one knows what Allegiant makes. Estimates don’t have it nearly the most profitable on any basis.
As far as pilot pay Allegiant has not just lagged but severely lagged the industry. There is not a single year where they led the industry or even close. In many years the made half what the majors made and jet blue generally makes 50% more. You seem to not understand the value of soft money in a pilot contract. Your claims about leapfrogging everyone in 2016 are simply not true as Delta had already reached a tentative contract agreement months before Allegiant setting new highs for pilot pay and Allegiant did not come near those rates. In addition that TA at Delta was voted down and higher rates were quickly achieved.
The next area that’s critical in a contract is the benefit package. Allegiant’s is not just low it’s absurdly low. In 2019 the last year with full reporting it was 12,000 per pilot. The Majors including SWA and JetBlue were above 60,000 and that does not include profit sharing. Overall it appears Allegiant and Spirit have been racing each other to be dead last in total pilot compensation.
Here is a statement on where Allegiant actually makes its money.
The commissions that it earns is what makes Allegiant Air different from other airlines. They make profits from selling hotel rooms, rental cars, even Everglades boat tours and theme-park tickets. Not only that but they also get people to attend sales presentations for townhouses or condominiums.

A race to the bottom huh?

Spirit pilots risked it all when they went on strike in 2010 to improve their contract. When’s the last time Delta pilots took the walk? Once the strike was over they were paid higher than their peers at United and had qol provisions that were arguably better than the legacies. Then for contract 2018 not only were we sued by management after a really ugly 3 years of negotiations but we managed to obtain a 43% pay raise (largest in history by a US 121 carrier I believe), a 401k dc comparable to the legacy airlines, health care and QOL that many think is better than their legacy counterparts. Granted there is still room to improve and raise the bar but to call it a race to the bottom is ignorant and elitist. Also last time I checked all of Spirit and Allegiant’s flying is done in house by seniority list pilots and not farmed out to sub contractor regionals…

Not really sure about the history of allegiant but I’m sure they fought hard for what they have and will continue to do so. So please explain again how this is a race to the bottom?

Get off your high horse and take your blinders off. The elitist attitude of certain pilot groups needs to end.