Thread: Future of G7?
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2021, 06:46 PM
Swakid8
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2015

Originally Posted by Longhornmaniac8 View Post
That's not really how it works.

The overwhelming majority of 1Ks are getting complementary upgrades. Sure, some on are paid tickets but the majority of corporations no longer have business class travel for most of their workers, especially on lengths a 550 would operate.

The CASM for the 550 is astronomical, and the premium seats are, by and large, not being paid for.

The airplane is a scope-buster, and nothing more. The better question is, does United care if the 550 is or isn't profitable, if the alternative is losing those passengers to another carrier?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
You missed his point, the 550 flight may not directly make money, but overall product offering gives United a fighting chance to keep their valuable repeat customers (if you are 1K United, you have spent a good amount of coin) to contribute to their overall bottom line by not losing their bookings to Delta or AA.

For example, as a 1K customer myself. I would avoid booking United with a itinerary with a leg on a 145 or CRJ200 if Delta or AA is offering 76 seaters or mainline jet on competing itinerary. That was his point.