DryClutch , 11-05-2021 03:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off
DryClutch
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Feb 2016
  • Position
Quote: I passed the Hogan for UAL and MMPI for DL...opinion is what you paid for it...

From what I have heard, most people fail when they are trying to give the answer they think UAL/DL wants to hear.

For example, one question I remember was "I get along with everyone". Someone trying to game the system would answer True because flying for an airline we have to interact with gate agents, FA's, the other pilot, passengers, hotel front desk folks, etc, etc, and they think that is what the hiring folks want to hear. But I'm willing to bet even the Pope or Mother Teresa had one or two people that rubbed them the wrong way. So to fit in the bell curve, a 'normal' person doesn't get along with 100% of the people they meet, so answering False is Ok.

Another reason I heard was the company is looking for "consistency". I remember taking the Hogan and one question was "I like to snorkel/SCUBA dive", so I answer yes. Some time later another question was "I want to be a deep sea salvage diver". I answer no. Some people see those two questions as being water related / similar question so they need to provide similar answers. To me it was more about risk....just because I like to snorkel with the sting rays in the Caymen Islands, doesn't mean I also want to free dive the Titanic.

Bottom line, don't think too much about the question/answer....RTFQ and answer honestly.

Best of luck to you!
I agree, I think just answering the questions honestly is the best bet. Its ok to answer "yes" to "have you ever lost your temper" for example. Then when asked "Are you usually an angry person", id say no. I think its ok to answer these like a real human.

On the day-2 psych written test on the old format, I vividly remember being asked on the 700 question yes/no test, "Have you ever thought about killing your entire family, yes/no?". Kinda gave me a chuckle. I wonder how many yes's they get out of that one?