Thread: Omni Air
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2021, 07:53 AM
ObadiahDogberry
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2020

Originally Posted by skypilot35 View Post
Home Basing is not going away. The company is contractually obligated. This is a good place to be, either as a resume builder or career destination. Home basing has a lot to do with that. We are losing a lot of pilots, specifically First Officers. Captains stay because they make a good salary and quality of life is vastly improved with home basing. Take away home basing and those guys, especially the younger ones (under 55) would most certainly bale for a better retirement (Omni's is non-existent), quality of life, and in the long run more pay. The home basing is also attractive to most potential candidates, like yourself. I would never vote to give it up and neither would anybody I've spoken to.

I would also remind you that ATSG spent nearly $850,000,000 to buy Omni less than 4 years ago. I'm not sure they'd be interested in having the majority of the pilot group leave. My opinion. If you have a good attitude, like flying, and you're a tolerable human I recommend you accept the class date. This is a good place to be.
That is good to hear. The lifestyle and working pattern of Omni fits me well, which is why I still have an interest even though I have found other work since first interviewing with them. But because I have other work, that pays pretty well, I can afford to be picky and look at all aspects of it. Which is why when I hear stuff like F&H coming on board to handle negotiations (my previous experience with them really was quite negative), and the company throwing out the idea of removing home basing, it is enough to give me some pause. I know to some people, for some inexplicable reason, that sounds like me saying "the sky is falling". To me it just sounds like someone who can afford to be picky, actually taking advantage of the ability to be picky and carefully consider all aspects. Having been through 9/11, SARS, the 2008 market crash, and Covid, it is nice to be in that position for a change.