Old 12-16-2021, 12:26 PM
pinseeker
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006

Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
I disagree. You're describing the idea how it would work in a purely academic setting - like in a book - fantasy land. It's never worked that way here - NEVER. The system is the problem. You think you can get 15 guys to agree to a proposal? You think it's easy when a block rep hears from 20 constituents (most never call or write or email EVER and most don't even know who their rep is) and out of those 20, 8 say they want it one way, 4 a complete different way and another 8 say something different. Does he do a straw poll of those 20? What about the other 280 that never signaled an opinion but do have an opinion? So he's carrying your thoughts and combining them with his myriad additional experience and knowledge (by nature - who else has time to listen to 30 hours of lectures and discussions?) and making the best decision that he BELIEVES his block would want him to make. That's the way a rep system works - everywhere. Else we could just do straight up crew voting for every position and learn to love the decade it would take to negotiate anything. You think the MEC Chair just massages the way forward? He gets no say in it or doesn't influence people's opinion? Seriously? Ever attended a meeting? They are open - there's one in January - you should try to attend just for a few hours.

It's far from a perfect system and that system alone is probably our biggest impediment. I don't know of a fix that would be amiable to the crew force in general. Maybe take a look at the UPS system that only has a few full time reps - they are on full time flight pay loss, they represent a greater amount of people but by being available and always engaged they can get action done quickly and don't face the kind of turnover or high numbers in the room issue that we have. Of course they aren't ALPA and appear to be able to get a lot done (best pay rates and retirement in industry - not best work rules) under that situation. Maybe worth a look. Our system hamstrings us - I promise you we will get LESS than we should purely because of the system - even if everybody does everything else they possibly can and the wind remains at our back, we will get LESS than we deserve just because of our MEC system.

Edit... BrianH covered most of what I was saying in his reply. I agree that we aren't far apart in our thinking.