View Single Post
Old 12-22-2021, 01:29 PM
Merle Haggard
Aspiring PSA Captain

Joined APC: Sep 2020

Originally Posted by Emmerson Bigs View Post
I think there should be a proper adjustment or penalty added to our pairings when they block out late to account for the delay. I've said that to my rep and it's been passed to the NC.
But just to be accurate, our trip pay calculations starts an hour prior to scheduled block out and so does our duty time. If you block out 2-hours late, and don't make any up in flight so you block in two hours late, that shows in your total duty time. It would also shorten your scheduled layover and show that on your pairing. Since we get paid the higher of block time flown, min pay per duty period, trip rig or very occasionally duty rig, it's rare that the block out delay actually generates more pay unless it goes so long you end up with a duty period disruption or FAR extension. Unfortunately, unless a pairing is already built right up to the limits, that two-hour block out delay is probably going to get absorbed by the normal slop in the typical hub turns. I agree that there is little motivation for the company to fix that problem as it stands now. It should cost them more to leave us sitting in the jet. Send a DART and talk to your rep.
There's a difference in being paid AFTER things derail vs. building them IAW pairing construction parameters. There are absolutely pairings that would change to the favor of the crews. If we had seniority stagnation you can bet your a$$ that there would be more complaints about this. As it stands, nobody gets stuck eating the most garbage of the pairings for long.