View Single Post
Old 12-30-2021, 05:11 AM
crewdawg
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Jul 2006

Great points above. To add to this, if you wanted to jump to the ANG, now is the time. Everyone is running to the airlines, so there are AGRs and O-6 spots there for the taking. If you want to get an AGR retirement and have a lot more control over your life, I'd make the jump to the ANG now. Unlike the AF/Navy Reserves, non-vol 6+ months assignments are unheard of, so I wouldn't worry to much about those, although the opportunities are there if you so choose. We're losing 11+ O-5s/O-6s (30% of the squadron) within the next 12-15 months and we're really going to struggle to fill a few O-6 gigs. When we hire guys off AD, we're having to tell them it's an AGR gig only, because we just don't have room for part-timers. When I got back from training over a decade ago, we had no hope of an AGR gig for years, and I ended up going to a regional because orders dried up. If you want the retirement, but want a lot more control over your life and not have to move your family all the time, now is a great time to make the jump.