View Single Post
Old 01-10-2022, 06:34 AM
phoenix 23684
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Airbus F/O

Originally Posted by singlepilot View Post
So if someone is under 40 a captain at a ULCC does it still make sense to start over at a legacy right now?
In my case I just upgraded to captain at F9 a few months ago, 38 years old, have an offer from both UA and AA. The math does not favor the legacies at current pay rates unless I make the move to wide body left seat. I will commute no matter what. I know it’s a loaded question with a lot of different things to consider.
It’s a tough choice to chew on, not sure it’s worth the gamble just for the ego boost?

I was in your shoes back in 2019 with a UAL offer. I was mid 40's living in domicile and with little kids, so I ultimately stayed at F9. It really is a gamble, but I still believe under 40 and all things being equal you will enjoy working for a mainline. Professionalism (from the company), travel benefits, are some of the things you get that we lack here. Regarding all 3 is there one you would consider moving to a base for QOL? Ultimately decide what is best for you and your family and good luck, it's great having options.