View Single Post
Old 03-06-2008, 10:22 PM
BalloonChaser
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: MD-88 F/O

Originally Posted by Adolphus Coors View Post
As for the de-crab technique not producing sideloads, I disagree. If you de-crab and only hold the wings level the aircraft will drift from upwind to downwind thus causing sideloading. Obviously if you are a hotshot and can time it perfectly every time you may not even feel the sideload when you land. The side-slip technique is the only way to land without producing sideloads.
I think you're missing the technique of "de-crab." The "de-crab" is also known as the "Crab and Kick" and basically the technique should be flown as - you fly the approach in a crab and "prior" to touchdown you input the rudder to align the longitudinal axis with the runway and the bank angle into the wind to prevent the drift. Not just align the longitudinal axis and maintain wings level and wait for impact! Effectively you transition from a "crab" to the "Side-slip" method; you're just doing it very late into the approach - Some pilot's will do it prior to the flare, some in the flare, some pretty much at touchdown (that variation WILL cause a sideload if you wait for impact.) But, the "De-crab" will not cause a side-load as you inferred it would, provided it's implemented prior to touchdown.
The whole reason to use the "de-crab" rather than the sideslip method is simply - drag (and the engine scraping the runway factor too!)
Keep in the mind, the sideslip method called that because effectively that's what it is, a sideslip - uncorrdinated flight creating more drag and you will typically need more power to maintain that attitude, however, if you fly the crab, you're flying coordinated until the last moment until you transition to the sideslip AND you won't have to reduce all that power you carried in the sideslip (which may cause you to float if you're late getting it reduced!) Anyway, just my two cents?

PS - The 737 does not have a castoring main gear for the one who asked? Not sure about whether it can take a landing in a crab anyway though?

Last edited by BalloonChaser; 03-06-2008 at 10:27 PM.