View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 07:13 PM
BalloonChaser
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: MD-88 F/O
Cool

Originally Posted by Adolphus Coors View Post
Not according to our manuals. The de-crab method is aircraft parallel to center line with enough aileron to land with the wings level. It maybe different for your company or fleet. I have never seen anyone fly an approach in a side-slip which as you stated would require more power. I have seen the majority of the pilots I fly with apply a side-slip just prior to the flare which does not require more power. Your de-crab method is what we call the side-slip method.

I'm pretty sure I'm not "missing the technique of the de-crab," as yoy say.
Coors,

If the "de-crab" method is defined as you say it is in your manual, then it is definitely a "different" definition than the "crab & kick" or the "crab method" as defined by the FAA that I was referring.

Here's the paragraph out of the FAA's Flight Training Handbook I was referencing - There are two usual methods of accomplishing a crosswind approach and landing—the crab method and the wing-low (sideslip) method. Although the crab method may be easier for the pilot to maintain during final approach, it requires a high degree of judgment and timing in removing the crab immediately prior to touchdown. The wing-low method is recommended in most cases, although a combination of both methods may be used. The "crab & kick" I was referring two IS the "crab method" sounds like you are referring to a "combination of both."

Anyway, I think we're actually trying to get to the same place. I do apologize for saying you were "missing the technique." I re-read that and that wasn't what I mean't (I was referring to the phraseology.) Anyway, so long as we're both aligned and tracking down the runway at touchdown and during rollout, I guess it really doesn't matter how we got there; end result's the same!