View Single Post
Old 03-08-2008, 02:28 PM
mike734
New boss = Old boss

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: Ca B737

Originally Posted by Lighteningspeed View Post
Based on my observation of this rather poorly shot video, it appears the FO or the FP failed to make the necessary rudder input to straighten out the nose of the aircraft over the center of the runway. When you center the nose by making the rudder input in a very strong crosswind, you also have to make a fine adjustment with your stick against the wind or your upwind wing will rise resulting in a severe drift away from the direction of the wind. If you are very close to the runway, obviously you may not be able to perform the one wing low movement, but at least you should level the wings by neutralizing the stick. The FP of Lufthansa failed to do this.
I have a question. I assume you fly the 320. I was told by a United 320 IP that he teaches the xwind technique in the 320 like this:

Crab until 50 feet or so and then straighten the nose with rudder, leave the stick alone. He says the flight computer knows the aircraft is starting to drift and will automatically lower the upwind wing to correct for the drift. I don't fly the bus but I was wondering if anyone out there can confirm the bus will react that way.