View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 01:53 PM
BlueMoon
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: FO

Originally Posted by DelDah Capt View Post
You are seriously confusing the difference between non-revving and the Jumpseat. If you list yourself to non rev as an S-3 or S-2 and you get cleared with a seat assignment, then you can take your seat and do what you please. If you request the jumpseat you will ask the Captain for permission (or at the very least introduce yourself to the Captain)....even if the gate agent gives you a cabin seat as part of the jumpseat request. All jumpseat riders, whether they sit in the cabin or in the actual jumseat , must introduce themselves to the Captain and request permission to ride the jumpseat (says so in black and white on FOM page 4-3.2). The only difference between a jumpseater who occupies the actual jumpseat and one who flows back to the cabin is that the Captain need not verify the credentials of a flowback rider.

If you are being taught something other than this, then we need to get our Jumpseat reps together for a little talk.

Believe me, I'm not being a hard ass here. I'm a commuter myself and I'm very sympathetic to fellow commuters and I never play politics with my jumpseat. However, there are certain rules to be followed. I agree that with the many new flowback agreements between airlines now in place (which is a great thing), some Captains get pretty cavalier about requiring you to introduce yourself....that doesn't mean that you should stop doing it.
This man is right on, if your jump seating and it says jump seat, go talk to the captain and fo.