View Single Post
Old 04-09-2022, 04:54 AM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

I have the Proflight II with those earmolds. I am not happy with them.

I use earmolds for other applications such as under a flight helmet, but in the Bose Proflight II, the earmolds are heavy, don't provide much noise reduction or sealing (even with the "deep earmolds" that I got), and have been an ongoing source of problems. They are uncomfortable on long periods, cause moisture buildup, and after a 8-10 hour flight, leave the ear sore.

The small tabs on the Bose headset are easy to break. I was able to install the earmolds and used them on a trip, but on the next trip, the tab snapped off while wearing the headset, allowing the bose portion to drop out of the earmold, disabling it. I couldn't use the little rubber ear tips either, with the small dog ears snapped off, and I was out of luck. I sent the headset back to Bose, which replaced the portion that failed. I found to get the earmolds onto the headset without risking breakage again, I had to use a dremel to relieve the hole in the earmold.

The earmold occasionally fell off on trips, and twice, I had to buy a craft glue hot glue gun to reattach and retain the earmold on the headset. The earmolds didn't seal well against the headset, allowing noise in, and defeating the point of using a deep earmold.

I've had to run a hot glue seal around the earmold to block the noise where it mates with the headset, and the setup has failed several times in the field, usually when I'm 10 hours from anywhere, and in a foreign location where I'd prefer to have the Bose headset...I use it because my hearing isn't great, nose cancelling helps substantially when listening to foreign accents in the cockpit, and noise cancelling is a quantum improvement in communications, and it reduces fatigue.

Were I to buy a bose headset again, I'd go with the factory ear tips. They're lighter, breathe, more comfortable, seal nearly as well as the earmolds, are less bulky, and easier to insert in the ear. I paid about three hundred bucks by the time I got the mold done, then the earpieces, and the downtime, return to the factory, etc, has been a pain.