View Single Post
Old 05-14-2022, 11:36 AM
oldboyroy
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Default Leaving SWA at 6yrs for UPS?

Looking for some sound and unbiased views and commentary on anyone who has left recently the commercial airlines for cargo, specifically UPS? Money is good and I am home 18-20 days a month, but the schedules and operations are getting worse, and post-Covid manning our operations make us even harder to work for. Lately our operation meltdowns, I feel like I am on the Titanic and the orchestra is playing top deck and the ship is listing over. Is SWA the next Eastern Airlines?? I am not sure, but things have not been well since the MAX and Covid....very reactionary management. I am sure I work harder than any other NB 737 Pilot in America! I get it. But my reasons to come to SWA and life have changed recently. It is no longer the best long-term career for us because it will dictate a move in the next 5-10yrs to a favorable domicile. Overnights are now consistently short. AMs trips are turning into PMs and PMs are turning into AMs. I know I work harder at SWA than I would at UPS, but has it been a "why didn't I leave earlier" once you did UPS vs airlines? I am a couple years from upgrade (to West Coast Captain while positioned in East Coast Base) and have over 16 years of flying left. Would appreciate any insight on the dilemma.

Here are some questions:
- Being Junior, what would the worst-case schedule and platform be for me? I can do anything for 12-18months....I live in a major hub and travel to the world is a 45-minute drive to the airport.
- Is there a reason to choose UPS over FedEx, I am just not familiar with the two in their differences?
- Being near 50yrs old, do age factor in your assignment and choice of airframe?
- What are the major differences between international and domestic schedules?
- As we get older, has anyone said this is too hard on my body and age? I am not too sure I can do the tempo till 65yrs at Southwest 4 legs a day can be brutal --I feel bad for some of the old timers!

Thanks for your time in this important life changing move!