View Single Post
Old 05-15-2022, 08:00 AM
FTv3
Social Media retired.

Joined APC: May 2018

OP,

I generally agree with what’s been previously stated. Here’s some further opinions:

Domiciles are (can be) a problem at UPS…we only have 4 and none that most people would call desirable locations. I’ve preached this is a good job to be a commuter at, but I can’t deny living in domicile would be so much nicer for so many reasons. I’m taking a guess that you live in ATL? If so, you can stay put. Probably one of the best locations to commute from besides PHL area. Both have directs to Sdf on ups and pax carriers. That’s huge. Anyway, consider this very important aspect especially if you have kids in school. I find the limiting choices frustrating now that we would prefer to live in domicile (but won’t).

Conflict bidding is tasty. Yeah, more of a treat seniority brings but darn, it can be real good. That’s how to get 18-22 cal days off here, though you can’t do it every month.

Vacation language is fantastic.

Health benefits are top notch.

Schedules….they suck. Even the good stuff, sucks. You’re grinding out 3-4 legs per duty period at SWA - try doing that on the opposite side of the clock (ups). Want the good day flying at UPS? Well, you’re still doing multiple legs or transcons and unless you’re doing turns, chances are they’ll mix some night flying into your line.

International long haul (74) is sexy but its constant 24 hr layovers and reschedules will grind you down pretty quickly. You’re not even flipping your body clock here, you’re completely decimating it.

International hub sort (767) can be quite good in the European theater…if you’re senior enough to hold it. Basically doing overnight turns from outstation but works out to be evening flying on EST. Otherwise lots of crap out there and you’re still working even if you are lucky enough to get the better pairings.

Not saying there aren’t gems out there on each fleet, but the overall schedules have been eaten alive by the optimizer.

FedEx and UPS pilot jobs and contracts are very similar. The companies are completely different. UPS is old school trucking company with airplanes. FedEx is an airline with trucks. FX is ALPA and has a 50% bigger seniority list than the IPA. UPS is a more toxic environment in regards to management- employee relations than FX.

18-20 days off a month, day flying, earning decent coin doesn’t sound bad to me. You’d really have to have a good reason for bailing IMHO. Try Jumpseating through our system to get a taste of it. That would be my starting place.

Good luck.