View Single Post
Old 05-19-2022, 05:49 AM
Ecotone
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2018

Originally Posted by CC268 View Post
Man I've really been going back and forth on whether or not to apply to Spirit/Frontier.

Background: 28 years old, currently an FO, home based in PHX, which is great. Flew Part 135 for a short while and was a CFI before that. No failures of any kind, clean record, engineering background (worked for a large aerospace company previously). Recently had my apps and resume reviewed (Delta, United, American, SWA). Need to add Alaska to that list too I guess.

My initial thoughts have been to just upgrade at SKW and then hopefully move on to a legacy. I could upgrade at the end of this year. However, it seems like a lot of guys in my shoes are jumping to LCCs. I've been really torn on whether or not to apply to Spirit and Frontier. I think what really is preventing me is the idea of commuting to Philly or Florida. Seems like that would be a total nightmare from AZ. My wife and I just bought our first home in AZ too, so moving to Philly or Florida is not an option right now. In addition, by the time I interviewed with a LCC, went through training, IOE, etc, I wouldn't be far off from upgrading at SKW. I've been very proactive in positioning myself, hence why I've already had my apps and resume professionally reviewed. Next step will probably be to attend one of these conferences (potentially OBAP in August).

I've been flying with a ton of SKW Captains with less than ~500 hours PIC who are getting picked up at the legacies. My gut tells me stick it out, upgrade, and work hard to get to a legacy. Also with this upcoming recession, I may be in a better position at SKW than at the bottom of a LCC?
Just thought I'd chime in. Oddly similar situation on my end. 400 hour CL-65 FO based on the east coast, aerospace engineering background, similar age as you, moving to PHX next month for my wife's career... Apps/resumes already professionally reviewed as well. Still torn about staying put and getting 1,000 hours turbine as quickly as possible despite the hellish commute to get to work on the east coast, or jumping to NK/F9 now. The thing that I always tell myself... Where do I want to be when the music stops? Clearly not a regional, especially in this current environment of crazy attrition, fleet shrinkage, reduced flying, etc.

NK/F9 are great companies where you could spend your entire career. LAS is junior for both, and the commute from PHX wouldn't be bad. Not to mention F9 is opening PHX. The future is bright for the ULCC market. And if you so desire, you can always shoot for DAL/UA/AA later. PIC time not required anymore, probably won't be in the near term at least.

Personal decision at the end of the day. Do what's best for your situation. But a seniority number at a ULCC is not something to look down on. Going to F9 MTC tomorrow, and NK next month.

Good luck to you!