View Single Post
Old 05-24-2022, 05:16 AM
zerozero
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by thrustisamust View Post
Your thought process seems rational and a good one. I haven't been here very long but long enough to notice this management team doesn't seem concerned about losing pilots. They have had opportunites to incentivize ppl to stay and haven't done so. In one of my recurrent classes we had a management type come in and tell us they are fine with the churn and are content being a stepping stone for pilots. Just my two cents.
The real explanation is even more cynical that that. The reality is that our executives don't expect current market (labor or freight) conditions to continue. They are surely expecting an economic recession (which may or may not already begun). When that happens the hiring at the Legacies will slow down, or even stop temporarily. I doubt there will be furloughs at the Legacies due to early retirements during 2020 that are causing so many staffing problems today (just a guess on my part so far).

But I believe, as apparently our executives do too, that an economic recession will stop the giant "sucking sound" we hear at the bottom of the seniority list. So why bother making any further improvements?

The freight market will likely remain strong longer than the pilot labor market, but one day that will end too--most likely after China opens and the backlog in the entire supply chain is sorted out.

Then we're back to business as normal. The question for junior crew members at ANY operation is: Where to do you want to be when the music stops. Because one thing is for certain, the music always stops for a period of time during one's career. And when it does you're going to be stuck where you are for several years.