Thread: Omni Air
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2022, 09:13 PM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Straw man.

The CEO doesn't solicit offers from job applicants, and then hire based on who is willing to work for the lowest wage. The employer offers a wage, and it's a take-it-or-leave-it proposition.

We're not talking about an employer lowering the bar.

An applicant who researches a company should know exactly what he or she is applying to. He should know the wage. If the wage is unacceptable, then very simple: don't apply.

An applicant who knows the wage and applies, and is subsequently offered a job, knows the wage he is accepting, and once accepted, as agreed to that wage. Pick up one end of the stick, pick up the other.

An applicant who has accepted the job, knowing the wage and the terms of the job, and who plans on taking the training and the type rating, and who plans on leaving the moment he has a shinier penny to mesmerize, is acting in deceit. An employer would not have hired that employee, knowing the employer would be pumping two months of training, hotel, car, meals, perdiem, wage, whatever, into that employee for nothing. Now the employer's training costs have doubled: he's squandered two months on a worthless, deceitful, lying employee, has nothing to show for it, must start over, and must repeat the process to put a warm body on the line. In the meantime, another pilot who wanted that job and applied for that job, has been told to go pound sand. The employer has bet on the deceitful employee, and lost. The employer isn't the only one that has lost. Others who wanted that class slot, who didn't get it, also lost, and for nothing, because it's been deceitfully squandered by a dishonest and disloyal, and dishonorable applicant.

We're not talking about Chinese employers. There are no 99 year contracts in the US. The US isn't China. China is irrelevant.

In the US, in an airline, the employer does not hire an employee, then while that new-hire is in ground school, find another employee who will do the job for a lower wage, fire the former employee, and hire a second. That's not done in airlines.

What is done, and what we're talking about here, because you chose to expand on this point, are dishonorable employees who take a job, knowing they have no intention to keep it, and who take the training and type rating, and move on. We're talking about those who interview, receive an offer and a class date, and never show up. Both, acts of dishonor.

If I receive a job offer from employer A for 200/hour, and accept that offer and a class date, whether I do so by hand shake or a formal letter, I have given my word. If after that time, employer B offers me 400 an hour, I am going to tell employer B that I have made an agreement with employer A. I would not break my word to employer A, and wouldn't do it to employer B. Perhaps another time. I've done that before, and would do it again. Integrity.

If I tell If I ask Sharon to marry me and we have a wedding date set, I am not going to back out because Shirley shows and offers to marry me. I've made a commitment.

I met a man in a class a few years back; he had a number of type ratings and relatively little time. I asked how he had so many type ratings, given his lack of experience. He said he liked to get hired, get the type rating, then go somewhere else and get another. I met another in the same class who was sharp as a tack, and told me that he was only after the type rating, that he intended to jump ship because he had interviews pending in the same type equipment from two other employers. Sure enough, he completed his training and shortly thereafter, went to one of those two employers. Another employee, a new hire, told me he was retired from other employement, and was "just doing this for something to do." He told me he'd get the type rating and probably bail. He did. Three different men, three different backgrounds and walks of life, each equally dishonorable.

It doesn't really matter if it's someone who takes the type rating and runs, or someone who takes the job offer, agrees to show up, and never does. They can justify it however they like, justification being the narcotic of the soul, but it's still deceit, dishonesty, lack of integrity, and dishonor.