View Single Post
Old 07-10-2022, 04:10 PM
Cujo665
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2014
Position: Semi-Retired...

Originally Posted by TransWorld View Post
So, we can play the blame game, ad infinitum. But we live in the reality of now. The question is what is the industry, both airlines and pilots, going to do, moving forward?
ive told you, same as I said years ago. This will lead to buyouts, mergers, bankruptcies and consolidations. The WO are able to run their regionals at a loss to keep the feed into/out of the hubs as long as it keeps those mainline flights filled. They can - and will - improve flow and I’d say they may go as high as 80%-85% of all hires come from their WO.
they could increase CPA FFD rates to keep their vendors able to staff, but I consider this unlikely without the other big two raising their FFD rates also….. it’s easier to just buy the company, planes, pilots, equipment and all before or during the bankruptcy.

I’ve been saying this since 2013 that we were around 5-6 years away from a crisis. Covid delayed it 2 years.

They’re going to need age 67, and to start not just paying more, but having significant improvements to working conditions. This modern generation can make $5k-$10k a month with various online sales and automated marketing stuff that I’ll admit I just don’t get. Why commute on days off to crashpads sitting airport standby after having spent $175k-$250k getting your ratings and experience to make less than $90k at the best paying regional, and around $40k at the worst.

there is also the possibility of merging mainline with a consolidated owned regional. With the rates they’re paying now it would be cheaper. Folks would also take the $90 an hour to fly the E175 as the entry level AA jet, because they’d be actual APA pilots instead of waiting to flow. The closer the costs get, the less attractive maintaining 4 separate administrations and training departments becomes. We almost sold them on single list back in 2013-2014; with some effort it should be a much easier sell now.

Last edited by Cujo665; 07-10-2022 at 04:21 PM.