View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 06:48 AM
beis77
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: 737 FO

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
UCLA -

You're right. 4000 TT is a lot of flight time for the strike/fighter community (at least in the USN/USMC and I assume the AF is similar). Even if he has been flying for 20+ years - many of those years were spent out of the cockpit on staff tours or schools or most recently Individual Augment billets (IAs).
It is almost impossible for a guy who plans on getting out of the military after his initial commitment to get the 2500 TT that NJ requires; at least without some type of instructional tour under your belt. There are guys I know on this forum who are in that exact position and need that conversion factor to make the mins. I thought the purpose of the conversion factor was founded on the differences in how the military and the civilians log their flight time.

USMCFLYR
yeah, I feel that pain... I'm getting out of the Air Force after my initial committment, and am only at about 1700 TT. Luckily almost all of that is turbine, and at least 1000 is PIC. But it's still low compaired to the industry standard around here (as I'm noticing); I may just have to fly my a#$ off in the reserves for awhile to make myself "competitive".