Old 05-22-2006, 06:48 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Josh

Originally Posted by FlyerJosh
Fireman,

First off, know that skyhigh is one end of the aviation spectrum... a pilot who jumped in with expectations that apparently weren't met, became bitter and no longer flies.

I will say that getting your certificates and ratings is a long and expensive process if you want to fly for a living. It does sound like you have a good job right now that is also tied into aviation.

Rather than start out with the goal of flying for a living, why don't you go and take a few lessons to start, with the goal of flying for fun. I'll be the first to admit that flying for work is just that- work. It's good, but it's still my job. I'd much rather be taking the family on a quick hop for lunch or dinner.

Go get your private pilot license and then perhaps your instrument rating. Once you do that, then you can make the ultimate decision about whether or not you want to pursue a career in flying.

Please excuse Josh. He is a lucky kid from the upper middle class who is trying to avoid getting a real job. His opinions are rose colored since he hasn't faced any real difficulties in his career yet. I would consider your source here if I were you.

SkyHigh