View Single Post
Old 08-10-2022, 06:28 AM
3pointlanding
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2011

Originally Posted by Elevation View Post
Once you have a job and other connections you can start the process to become a resident or citizenship. A work visa doesn't stop someone from pursuing citizenship while they're working. So a good number of people who come over on temporary work visas stay through entirely legitimate processes. A lot of us here have done some amount of expat work, and Dera accurately said it's about opportunity. That's why Americans are all over Middle Eastern and Asian carriers during hard times.

The problem is the way we're applying law and the way we hire. It's not pilots. It's not even management or our company. They're doing what they can to get the lowest specific labor cost to freight-ton-kilometer or seat-mile. TBNTs are still going to qualified, American pilots without multiple problems. This goes beyond Atlas to the industry as a whole. As long as there are qualified, American pilots getting TBNTs, there isn't a good reason to adjust standards, change retirement age, expand laws, etc. Market forces.
As a 30 year expat I can honestly say it is about opportunity and most enjoyed it especially the families. I took my girls on every long layover I could and on my days off. How many parents can say their kids have seen the Taj or the Red Fort in Agra, or climbed the Eiffel Tower, traveled the rivers of Europe. rode camels with the Bedouins in Saudi Arabia, or speak more languages than you can. And as for coming to the U.S, oh yeah, that''s the ticket and if an Aussie can make it more power to them. Our country is a great ride and enjoy it if you can.
I just have to add a side comment so forgive me for getting off track. I have great memories at Polar and some of my best friends are still there so of course I would be interested in the Atlas story. There have been a lot of comments concerning lack of sims, shortage of pilots, and much other information. Well, you can toss it all out. D
o you think the lack of sims may be because Atlas management knew this was coming. As a refugee from the Ichan TWA days most of the comments are no longer relevant. Apollo runs the show now and if my experience is any guide I would be worried about the dreaded furlough. It may not be tomorrow but it will. Apollo has taken Atlas private and is answerable to no one. One great flaw in unions is they tend to think in the short term usually 5 or 6 years where the companies thinks in 30 year terms. That is why the company always win even though the pilot think they won.
Back to the subject. Welcome the Aussies with open arms. They are embarking on a great adventure. I know, I was one of them many years ago.