View Single Post
Old 08-10-2022, 07:34 AM
atpcliff
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Capt

Originally Posted by zerozero View Post
I'll respectfully disagree with this part.

Your first point, on the reluctance of the company to reinvest in itself (while spending literally hundreds of millions on stock buybacks) is a good one. But that's nothing new. That's just business as usual. But let's not kid ourselves about the executives being held accountable to either the BoD or shareholders. They ran this company with reckless abandon for six years, pi$$ing off customers and shareholders alike. One investor (Howie) practically begged the CEO (Bill Flynn) to reach a deal with the pilots because the share price had crashed and they didn't even pay dividends. Flynn's response: "I'm a shareholder too".

Ha.

Your last point is the most unfortunate inaccuracy. The union is quite literally looking many years down the road realizing every single miscalculation now will affect the next round of (fake) negotiations in 2026, JUST LIKE every single miscalculation between 2004-2011 affected our negotiations 2016-2021.

The company on the other hand, like a lot of other corporations, treads water, quarter to quarter, back slapping each other for their lucky victories or blaming everyone else but themselves for their missed metrics.

The reason why the company always wins (I'll give you that one) is not because the union isn't forward thinking enough. It's because the court system has become of mafia of prejudiced judges and arbitrators. Labor law is painfully weak in this country. And politically, most union members don't vote with their wallets, they vote in accordance with their TVs.

It's always very easy to blame the victim. I always try to refocus our frustrations on the true sources.

Last point, re: expats coming to Atlas vs. American labor law. I flew with a Canadian who told me, "I had no idea it worked like this. If this was Canada we'd be on strike. If I knew this, I would have never come here."
VERY interesting points. Part of the reason America is not Great right now, is that we are too stuck in the America box, and don't learn from others how to improve. Some of the way things are in America are great, but others are crap...but many of us don't know which is which. We should reach out, worldwide, to find the best way of doing EVERYTHING. Use our American Ingenuity to improve on the World's Best, and make it America's Best. We can't be Great, if stay in our box.
For example: Iceland has THE BEST Health Care System. Finland has THE BEST Educational System. The Scandinavian countries have MUCH LESS corruption than we do. Our Labor Laws are terrible...they used to be VERY GOOD (the 1950s, when labor had their highest share of the pie, ever). There is no reason, that we, America, cannot be in the Top Tier of everything, year after year. If we don't even know what the Top Tier is, we won't even try to get there.