USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Mar 2008
  • Position
    FAA 'Flight Check'
Quote: I really like proposal #13.

(13) Proposal to excuse military pilots of the U.S. Armed Forces from having to obtain an FAA medical certificate.

The FAA proposes to add a new Sec. 61.23(b)(9) to excuse military pilots from having to hold an FAA medical certificate. Military pilots would be required to complete a medical examination for flight status as a military pilot from a flight surgeon at a military medical facility of the United States. The examination would have to be current.
In accordance with existing Sec. 61.39(a)(4), for a military pilot to be eligible for a practical test for an airman certificate or rating issued under part 61, an applicant must ``hold at least a current third-class medical certificate.'' The FAA has determined that the medical examinations provided by a U.S. Armed Forces medical facility to military pilots equals or exceeds the content and quality of a medical certification required by the FAA. Therefore, the FAA proposes to amend Sec. 61.23 by adding paragraph (b)(9) and excuse pilots of the U.S. Armed Forces from having to hold an FAA medical certificate provided that: (1) The pilot completed a medical examination for flight status as a military pilot from a flight surgeon at a U.S. military medical facility; (2) The examination is current; and (3) The flight does not involve a flight in air transportation service under parts 121, 125, or 135 of this chapter.

Unfortunately, the last sentence from above knocks the winds out of your sails!!.
It sure does knock your socks off
You know - I don't mind having to have the medical (that I will soon be getting again), but why not just let Flight Surgeons have the ability to issue the medical certificates - all classes? I'm sure there is some good reason out there, but when I go next month for my military flight physical and then have to turn around and go to a doctor out in town just to get my 3rd class - I have to wonder.