Old 03-30-2008, 07:20 AM
Scoop
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: DAL 330

[quote=newKnow;351336]Choice is an illusion created by those who have power for those who don't.

Unless you:
1. Have a seat on the BOD
2. Are CEO of DAL or NWA
3. Are a major shareholder of DAL or NWA
4. Are a major creditor of DAL or NWA
5. Are The President of the United States
6. Are The Attorney General or,
7. Someone who has the ear of any of the above

New,
Don't forget its an election year. A lot of Senators and Congressmen are stated to be against this deal-if labor is not on board I believe they will tap into this potential sorce of help. Labor may not have the power to stop a deal but they can sure throw a wrench in the works.
Another thing - it would appear to me that the stock price is so low that the big money hedge funds will be underwater even if a merger goes through. If they want to make $ on this deal they may be in for longer then they hoped. Off course the $ will immediately flow to management.
Last thing - oil is around $110/barrel now. What is the price of oil for a merged airline - correct around $110/barrel, my point is we are not merging with Exxon - it will take years to recoupe the one time consolodation costs which will run in the billions and come due immediately. Reservation systems, computers, lawyer costs, maintenance and flight manuals, moving headquarters, transferring personnel, painting aircraft, combining supply inventories, moving re-equipping gates, uniforms, and did I mention lawyer costs? All of these bills will be due immediately, oil will still cost a ton, and hopefully over the years pricing power will start to rise - if Virgin etc dont jump in to fill any void. Lets just hope the deal goes away for good.
Scoop