View Single Post
Old 11-15-2022, 05:08 PM
OpieTaylor
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2021

Originally Posted by Slick111 View Post
From LOA 22-01:

7. Holiday Pay: The below holiday blocks shall be designated as permanent premium pay days. Any *flying* performed on a day in that block, including as a result of a Reschedule, Replacement Flying (for Replacement Flying performed on the holiday block for a sequence which did not originally touch the holiday block), Self-Repair, or Reassignment, shall pay a premium of one hundred percent (100%) over the pilot’s base hourly rate (over guarantee for reserves). The Company will not allocate any five-day narrowbody sequences that touch any of the block days below.
a. The Wednesday before Thanksgiving Day and Thanksgiving Day
b. The Sunday and Monday following Thanksgiving Day
c. Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and the day following Christmas Day
d. New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day

So am I to conclude that my 30 hour layover in ALB on Thanksgiving pays exactly ZERO holiday pay??? I won’t be “flying” on that day. I’ll just be sitting in the Hyatt all day getting nothing for my willingness to not call-out sick.

Maybe I shouldn’t have gotten that flu shot.
I’d try and file a grievance, it’s implied “a day in the block” does not describe the holiday. The word to describe an actual holiday is holiday.

“ flying” “on a day in the block” can only be talking about days that are not the actual holiday.

So a 30 hour in the block, but not the holiday, would not pay premium.

The agreement is titled holiday pay so it’s implied an actual holiday pays premium. The “flying” requirement is only applicable to “a day in the block” which does not describe a day that is an actual holiday, but days important to flying around a holiday.

Because it’s implied holiday pay is a premium, the details and “flying” requirements for “a day in the block” which would be a day other than the holiday have to be explained in detail which they are, but not to the detriment of denying actual holiday pay.

Are you off on Christmas?
Yes, I am off on a day in the block.

“Flying” requirement restricted to “a day in the block” and “day in the block” can never mean actual holiday.

Last edited by OpieTaylor; 11-15-2022 at 05:21 PM.