View Single Post
Old 12-18-2022, 01:15 PM
jakeinthesky
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2016

Originally Posted by TangoSierra93 View Post
I'm currently finishing my ppl training, looking to be done with instrument, and commercial by summer. I'm thinking ahead, and have concluded that if possible I'd rather reach 1500 hours a different way than CFI'ing. I'm aware that as a low time commercial pilot options are very limited. I've heard of crazy instances where someone has gotten on with boutique, or berry right out the gate. But I realize those instances are far and few between.

If I were to immediately pursue a multi add on, then use a multi engine plane for the rest of training (instrument, commercial) I'd be at 250tt with 170multi. Would that make any kind of difference for opening up job opportunities? My current flight school is rather expensive, the multi engine plane I'd use is $10 cheaper, so cost isn't really a big hang up.

On a side note, I've got nothing against the CFI game. I've heard the "You don't know it till you teach it" and I believe it. However, both flight instructors I've had have admitted its pretty monotonous flying in the same airspace every day, making the same calls. I don't in any way feel above it, I just feel there's more value in doing the real world flying. And if there's anyway of increasing my chances of getting one of those gigs early on, I'd definitely like to maximize that possibility. I'm still very new to this flying world, and don't know if what I'm asking is a ludicrous question so forgive me if that's the case. I'll gladly suck it up and take whatever I can get, beggers can't be choosers, I'm fully aware of that.

-Thank you for your time
With more than 50 multi hours you'd be cheaper to insure on a multi than you would with less, but you still wouldn't meet their insurance requirements with only 250tt. You'd have to at minimum get 500-750hrs TT to be insurable. And then you're against CFI/CFII/MEI candidates in the hiring pool who have 50+ multi AND the same TT. Does your plan increase your chances more than having 10 multi? Yes. That being said you still will need more total time unless you have a unicorn situation network you in to a right seat. It COULD happen but a hell of gamble. Also when you start blasting applications to everyone you are sitting there losing recency and currency instead of flying like you could as a CFI. Most of the people I see going through CFI training spent 5-8 months applying every where thinking they'd luck out only to have to study harder because no one called and their memory lapsed on a lot of their knowledge.