Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Hiring minimums for a 135

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 04:54 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2022
Default Hiring minimums for a 135

I'm currently finishing my ppl training, looking to be done with instrument, and commercial by summer. I'm thinking ahead, and have concluded that if possible I'd rather reach 1500 hours a different way than CFI'ing. I'm aware that as a low time commercial pilot options are very limited. I've heard of crazy instances where someone has gotten on with boutique, or berry right out the gate. But I realize those instances are far and few between.

If I were to immediately pursue a multi add on, then use a multi engine plane for the rest of training (instrument, commercial) I'd be at 250tt with 170multi. Would that make any kind of difference for opening up job opportunities? My current flight school is rather expensive, the multi engine plane I'd use is $10 cheaper, so cost isn't really a big hang up.

On a side note, I've got nothing against the CFI game. I've heard the "You don't know it till you teach it" and I believe it. However, both flight instructors I've had have admitted its pretty monotonous flying in the same airspace every day, making the same calls. I don't in any way feel above it, I just feel there's more value in doing the real world flying. And if there's anyway of increasing my chances of getting one of those gigs early on, I'd definitely like to maximize that possibility. I'm still very new to this flying world, and don't know if what I'm asking is a ludicrous question so forgive me if that's the case. I'll gladly suck it up and take whatever I can get, beggers can't be choosers, I'm fully aware of that.

-Thank you for your time
Old 12-18-2022, 01:15 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2016

Originally Posted by TangoSierra93 View Post
I'm currently finishing my ppl training, looking to be done with instrument, and commercial by summer. I'm thinking ahead, and have concluded that if possible I'd rather reach 1500 hours a different way than CFI'ing. I'm aware that as a low time commercial pilot options are very limited. I've heard of crazy instances where someone has gotten on with boutique, or berry right out the gate. But I realize those instances are far and few between.

If I were to immediately pursue a multi add on, then use a multi engine plane for the rest of training (instrument, commercial) I'd be at 250tt with 170multi. Would that make any kind of difference for opening up job opportunities? My current flight school is rather expensive, the multi engine plane I'd use is $10 cheaper, so cost isn't really a big hang up.

On a side note, I've got nothing against the CFI game. I've heard the "You don't know it till you teach it" and I believe it. However, both flight instructors I've had have admitted its pretty monotonous flying in the same airspace every day, making the same calls. I don't in any way feel above it, I just feel there's more value in doing the real world flying. And if there's anyway of increasing my chances of getting one of those gigs early on, I'd definitely like to maximize that possibility. I'm still very new to this flying world, and don't know if what I'm asking is a ludicrous question so forgive me if that's the case. I'll gladly suck it up and take whatever I can get, beggers can't be choosers, I'm fully aware of that.

-Thank you for your time
With more than 50 multi hours you'd be cheaper to insure on a multi than you would with less, but you still wouldn't meet their insurance requirements with only 250tt. You'd have to at minimum get 500-750hrs TT to be insurable. And then you're against CFI/CFII/MEI candidates in the hiring pool who have 50+ multi AND the same TT. Does your plan increase your chances more than having 10 multi? Yes. That being said you still will need more total time unless you have a unicorn situation network you in to a right seat. It COULD happen but a hell of gamble. Also when you start blasting applications to everyone you are sitting there losing recency and currency instead of flying like you could as a CFI. Most of the people I see going through CFI training spent 5-8 months applying every where thinking they'd luck out only to have to study harder because no one called and their memory lapsed on a lot of their knowledge.
Old 12-18-2022, 03:32 PM
All is fine at .79

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot

Don’t underestimate the people skills required to successfully teach, to the extent that after 4 years of being a CFI they should give you a Psychology Degree.
Working with people you may not personally like and being good at it is a very useful skill in a multi crew environment 135 or 121.
Expect to complete your CFI/CFII/MEI then ginf a job as a ramper and instruct before or after your shifts. Try the 2-10pm shift and instruct in the mornings.
I personally know people that were hired right out of the file truck into turbo props.
Network network network, run don’t walk.
Be polite and cheerful, happy to be there.
Show interest and be humble.
You never know when you’re talking to the chief pilot or getting that extra bag of ice for the owner, either one may just have had a pilot quit.
Old 12-18-2022, 05:06 PM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Nobody should be burdened by paying good money for an instructor who doesn't want to be there.
Old 12-19-2022, 07:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2021

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
Nobody should be burdened by paying good money for an instructor who doesn't want to be there.
I agree. His instructors saying that it’s ‘monotonous’ are probably just riding along for the flight time and using him while giving back very little. I could be wrong on that, maybe they aren’t doing that, but I’ve been around the block enough times and have seen it all. There’s too many CFI’s that aren’t vested in teaching and are doing their students a huge disservice. OP if I were you I’d be looking for a new instructor to finish up my ratings. Find someone that challenges you, pushes you, sometimes even hard on you here and there, and wants to make you a damn good pilot. Don’t settle for an hour-building CFI. Often times students don’t even realize they’re getting hosed until months to even years later when they get a different instructor, and they notice a huge difference in teaching styles.
Old 12-20-2022, 01:30 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2016

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
On that I wholeheartedly agree. I guess it's how "want" is defined. You could say they "want" 1500 or 1000 hours or whatever they need for an ATP.
Big differences in instructional ability but you often get what you get with not a lot of options depending on the school. Effectively students teaching students.
Old 12-21-2022, 09:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2021

Originally Posted by TangoSierra93 View Post
I'm currently finishing my ppl training, looking to be done with instrument, and commercial by summer. . . .If I were to immediately pursue a multi add on, then use a multi engine plane for the rest of training (instrument, commercial) I'd be at 250tt with 170multi. Would that make any kind of difference for opening up job opportunities? . . .
It certainly would not hurt your chances. But what you'd be opening up in complexity, with training in a multi at such low time could potentially be risky; to each their own, however. You could always go through with it and see what the job market looks like at the other end. As already mentioned, networking is key to land a job early on.
Old 12-24-2022, 05:46 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2022

Thank you everyone for the information. For the record I may have given a bad image of my past two instructors. In my opinion both have been great teachers, and I wouldn't trade my time with them for anyone else. They didn't just complain about their job unprovoked. I had to pull that out of them, both are far too professional to ever do that on their own. If flight instructing is the only available path then I will take that path, and be the best teacher I can be.